Al Qaeda affiliate al-Shabaab has claimed responsibility for an attack on a US base in Kenya on Sunday morning local time.
- Soleimani killing escalated tension between US and Iran
- United States deploys more troops to Middle East
- Brussels may demand its own Brexit extension
- Manila bans United States officials from entering into country
- Defence standing committee approves army chief unanimously
- Russian police raid Vladimir Putin top critic
- British commuters face fare rise in rail
- Tunisian designated Prime minister announces cabinet formation
- Turkey’s Legislature approves motion on sending troops to Libya
Kenyan Defence Forces said in a statement on Sunday that “at around 5:30am an attempt was made to breach security at Manda Air Strip.
“The attempted breach was successfully repulsed. Four terrorists bodies have so far been found.The airstrip is safe.”
“The Mujahideen fighters covertly entered enemy lines, successfully stormed the heavily fortified military base and have now taken effective control of a part of the base,” the armed group said.
The attack sent a dark plume of smoke into the air, Abdallah Barghash, a witness told news agency.
Barghash was among the crowds watching the drama unfold on Manda Island from neighbouring Lamu Island, a top tourist destination.
The attack comes nearly a year after al-Shabab launched a deadly suicide attack on the upscale 14 Riverside complex in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, killing 21 people.
This week, they killed three passengers when they attacked a bus in Lamu county, police said.