The rockets fired at the Ain al-Asad base in Anbar province and a base in Erbil early on Wednesday came amid escalating tensions between Washington and Tehran following the US killing of Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani in Iraq last week. Iran had pledged severe retailiation.
- British woman guilty of false gang-rape claim
- Turkey’s Legislature approves motion on sending troops to Libya
- United States deploys more troops to Middle East
- Germans Transgender demands compensation after forced sterilisation
- Spanish parliament debate could end political deadlock
- Renault-Nissan ex-boss left Japan after alleged financial misconduct
- Ukraine,Russia working on new prisoner swap
- US embassy compound in Baghdad stormed by Protesters
- China approves two GM crops for import from US
“We are carefully monitoring the developments and are in close contact with the relevant government authorities with regards to our flight operations, and will make further operational changes if required,” Emirates said in a statement.
Its sister carrier, FlyDubai, also cancelled a flight to Baghdad.
“Iraq was subjected between 1:45 and 2:45 this morning of 8 January 2020 to bombardment by 22 missiles. 17 missiles fell on Ain al-Asad air base including two that did not explode and five on the city of Erbil that all fell on coalition headquarters. No casualties among Iraqi forces were recorded,” the statement said.
“We condemn this attack on Iraqi military bases hosting Coalition including British forces,” British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said.
“We urge Iran not to repeat these reckless and dangerous attacks, and instead to pursue urgent de-escalation.”
Poland’s defence minister said polish troops stationed in Iraq were not hurt during Wednesday’s missile attacks.
“None of the Polish soldiers in Iraq were hurt in rocket attacks on Al-Asad and Erbil bases. We are in constant contact with the commander of the Polish Military Contingent in Iraq,” Mariusz Blaszczak wrote on Twitter.
Japan urged governments to do their utmost to help ease tensions following the missile strikes. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to call off a visit this weekend to Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Oman.
Japanese Chief Cabinet Spokesman Yoshihide Suga said Wednesday that his “government will coordinate with the related governments to collect intelligence while we ensure the safety of Japanese citizens in the region.