US troops do not have permission to stay in Iraq, my government is taking “all international legal measures” in response to their recent entry said PM.
The Iraqi Prime Minister made the comments in a statement reaffirming Baghdad’s position shortly after meeting US Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who arrived in the country on Wednesday in an unannounced visit.
Abdul Mahdi said the government “has not granted permission for US forces withdrawing from Syrian territory to remain in Iraqi territory”.
“We have already issued an official statement saying that and are taking all international legal measures. We ask the international community and the United Nations to perform their roles in this matter,” he said.
His comments came a day after US and Iraqi officials offered apparently conflicting accounts of the fate of the US troops in the region, who have been leaving Syria as part of a withdrawal announced by President Trump earlier this month.
The Iraqi military said on Tuesday that the US forces do not have permission to stay in Iraq, in a response to Esper’s previous comments that the approximately 700 troops leaving Syria would continue operations against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) armed group from Iraq to prevent its resurgence in the region.
The US already has more than 5,000 troops in Iraq under an agreement between Washington and Baghdad forged when ISIL began taking large portions of the country in 2014.
The US said that the forces will come back to Ain al-Assad in western Iraq and mount operations against ISIL from there and that seems to have angered the Iraqis.
After meeting Esper earlier on Wednesday, Iraq’s Defence Minister Najah al-Shammari said US forces withdrawing from Syria into neighbouring Iraq would depart the country within four weeks.
US troops will leave Iraq in 4 weeks Iraqi Defence Minister said in a statement earlier.